To the land of the ‘enchanting mistress’ - Day 6



Day Six. Sunday, 14 September 2014

The next morning we listen to Jonathan Saha speaking about corruption in colonial Burma, and leave for London afterward via Hastings where William the Conqueror of Normandy defeated Harold and became king of England.



I have been drawn to the city by the memory of a comic book I read since I was a student in Lashio.

The hero is Simon de Montfort who, according to the story, becomes a close friend of Harold and is killed in Hastings along with him.

To my disappointment, the place is packed with thousands of visitors when we arrive and if we are to remain there it will prove difficult for my hosts to get back to London in time. So I reluctantly say farewell to Harold and Simon and ask Ajarn Betty (that’s Dr Srilaksana’s nickname) to kindly continue our way to London.

Wat Buddharam’s about is Maha Somchai Wirawat, who is a Thai of Shan descent and an old friend of mine. It is at his monastery that I’m to put up tonight and the next.




 

Allwebsitetools © 2014 Shan Herald Agency for News All Rights Reserved